Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What to do with All Those Tomatoes


The warm weather is here and that means two things: swimming season and tomatoes.

We've got the swimming under control this year. But every year, I scramble to figure out what to do with the tomatoes that fill and re-fill every container imaginable every time I make my way into the garden.

I have some tried and true recipes I make for my family. I make salads and sauces that warm my tomato-loving heart. But there's no way I can cook at the rate my tomato plants produce fruit. This year, in my wisdom, I planted about a dozen each of cherry and Roma tomatoes. And they're going like gangbusters.

If you're in my boat, here are a few of my favorite recipes. They may help you tread water a bit until you're happily overwhelmed by the harvest.

Julia's Greek Tomato Salad
Erin's Mediterranean Pasta Salad
Fresh Tomato Salsa
Broiled Tomatoes with Herbs
Cucumber-Dill Salad
Joe's Black Bean Salad
Summer Squash Salad

I hope you'll give one or more of these a try. You'll find there are plenty of ways to enjoy your tomatoes without getting bored.

Later in the week, I'll write a little about cooking with them, with recipes for soups and stews, and preserving what you're pulling from the garden now so you can enjoy your harvest during the winter months.

Until then, Midwest Moms is headed back to the garden. I think I spy about fifty-seven more tomatoes coming ripe since this morning!

- Midwest Mom

5 comments:

  1. Have you thought of giving your surplus tomatoes to your local foodbank?
    I'm sure they could use them.

    Thanks for the recipes.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomatos seem to be hit or miss for a lot of people this year. I know people, much like yourself who could open a tomato canning factory with their tomatoes but I had no luck with them this summer - I think I need to plant them in a sunnier spot next year.. anyway I might just have to try your greek salad this weekend. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get sick of that sun-ripened taste. but our crop has been pretty spotty this year. A lot of green ones, though, so maybe I'll be in your position soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great site that you have here. I am commenting because we are actually having a debate on my website about whether or not corporations should market to kids and I would love to hear your input.

    http://www.debateitout.com/should-companies-market-to-children.html

    Keep up the good work. Jason

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't get my tomatoes to grow. They are small.. I have blooms, but that is it. Send some tomato dust my way please.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.