Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Easy Valentine Fun: Tissue Paper Flowers

My children and I sat down today to make some special surprises for our relatives who live far away.


We made tons and tons of tissue paper flowers.

Tomorrow I will box them up and send them off to brighten the Valentines Day of our Grandparents and Godparents, Great Uncles and Aunts and even one Great Grandparent! They were so easy to make and such fun that I thought I would share.



You will need:

Scissors

Tissue Paper in many colors (I save mine from gift bags!)

Pipe cleaners at least 12 inches long

Heart-shaped paper doilies


Instructions:

1. Cut the tissue paper into rectangles about 6 in. wide by 8 inches long.

2. Carefully stack the sheets on top of one another so that the edges line up.

3. Starting from the short side, fold the stack like an accordion or fan.



4. Twist a pipe cleaner around the middle of the flower 1 1/2 times, or until it holds securely.

5. Starting with the top sheet of tissue, gently pull it up and toward the center of the flower, separating it from the rest of the stack. Repeat with the other layers, being careful not to tear the paper.

6. Write your valentine greeting on the center of a paper doily. Cut a slit in the top and bottom of the heart and thread the flower stem through.


I took a picture of my crew with their garden of paper flowers and used it to create homemade Valentine cards to send with the flowers.



I can't wait to hear how our loved ones like them. We are so blessed to have many generations of our family still living. I want them to know that they are a treasured part of our family.

It's wonderful that a holiday like Valentines Day gives us the chance to do just that.

- Midwest Mom

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I am going to make a bunch of these flowers for my sister who had hip surgery and my sister in law who is in the hospital with Breast Cancer and deliver it to them with my daughter on Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make these when I was little; my "adopted grandma" showed me how. We also made "carnations" using colored Kleenex with the edges cut with pinking sheers.

    Brings back good old memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those kids look as cute as those flowers;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the idea awesome post, and adorably cute kiddos :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww. That is such a great idea! I love that you put that sweet picture with the gift too. I bet the grandparents will be so thrilled to get that in the mail. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a cute idea, these flowers can be used for any occasion. Great picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you get your kids involved with these projects and with your blog!

    On my blog at buttonsnrainbows.blogspot.com I focus on the importance of creativity, where does creativity come from and how to we get it back in our and our children's lives. I would greatly appreciate any input.

    I'm so excited that you commented on my blog (thedanvilleventure.blogspot.com) and that it sounds like we are interested in the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this website I feel that this site could be very useful & informative

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple and beautiful .. I love ... thanks for the ideas, spend a very nice time with my children!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i really like this nice creativity. its very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a good post. This post give truly quality information.I’m definitely going to look into it.Really very useful tips are provided here.thank you so much.Keep up the good works.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.