Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cooking with Kids: Applesauce

I recently had the pleasure (challenge) of helping my oldest son's second-grade class make applesauce for Johnny Appleseed week. It was a fun project, made easier by lots of parent helpers and a fantastic, creative teacher. The kids were patient and attentive and great at reading and following the recipe.

Applesauce is an easy recipe to make with children. I've posted the recipe we used on You Found the Secret Recipe! with instructions on how to complete the project without allowing your child to wield a knife (all fingers intact at the end of the project, please!)

Have a look and try it with your own crew. There is nothing as satisfying for children as making something with their own hands. Cooking teaches children teamwork, how to follow directions and plan their work, and the end result is really delicious!

Give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about making applesauce this weekend as I have lots of apples on my hands. I didn't know where to start. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.