Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween Photos and Fun

What fun Halloween turned out to be.

It started off a little rocky. My first grader started feeling sick on Friday night. That turned out to be our night of horror -- stomach flu. After a few bouts of the heaves in the middle of the night. He was in bed or on the couch for most of the day.

But, by afternoon, he was asking for -- and keeping down -- food. Hubby and I talked about it and decided he could go on limited Trick or Treating. He had to follow some rules we set about keeping his distance from other kids. (The irony here is that, before he decided to be a pirate, he had talked about trick or treating as a germ.)

The fun part was that I, for the first time, got to take him door to door. He went out early -- before the sun went down (... and before Illinois was done beating Michigan. Needless to say, my husband was glued to the TV to watch the Illini's only Big 10 win this season.) I always spend tons of time on my kids' costumes, but am the one who sits on the front porch handing out candy. So, I have settle for play by play from hubby and the kids when they get home with their haul.

Not so this year. I actually got my turn!

And I must say, the costumes turned out great. My caveman was convincing -- it was the mascara unibrow that made the costume. He also gives a convincing "Ugh!"



My pirate -- though peaked -- was swashbuckling with his home-made sword and make-up scars. He was so proud of his costume this year. (I was glad he got a chance to wear it! So was he.)



And my princess was royal, to be sure. I found a great resource, a blog called Hairstyles for Girls - A Story of a Princess and her Hair. It had every conceivable hairstyle I could have wanted for my little one, with great instructions on how to make them work. It took some time, but we made my little girl's hair into princess perfection. With a little pink on her lips and cheeks and some sparkle, too, she was darling.


After I went to just the houses on our block with my first grader, Dad took over. He stayed out nice and late with the healthy ones, even meeting up with some of Primo's friends to trick or treat as a group.

When they arrived home, they were exhausted. And the candy sorting began. For the first time ever, we actually found we had things to pull out. One of my kids had gotten unwrapped Halls cough drops. Another had gotten an unwrapped (possibly used?) tooth-flosser. Still another had gotten some sort of strange plastic something we couldn't quite identify. I asked my husband where they could have come from, and he said they were definitely from his later round of trick or treating. I was glad we checked carefully.

When the night was over, we were happy and exhausted. Everyone hurried off to bed, with an extra hour's sleep in our schedule.

It wasn't until Sunday that I wondered what on Earth we'd do with all that candy.

- Midwest Mom

7 comments:

  1. Awesome costumes! I have to laugh at those "tricks" in the treat bags--ick! I guess us moms still need to sort through the candy, huh? Glad your tribe felt well enough to enjoy the night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute costumes! I bet they all had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your costumes! Fun,fun,fun....Enjoy your kids when they are young, it all goes by toooo fast. We no longer have any goblins to dress and I miss that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great costumes.. that is soo funny about the candy sorting.. a halls cough drop? I noticed a strange trend of bags of pretzels being handed out.. boring!! We hope to use our candy for potty treats .. I think we said the same thing last year...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Green Girl -- Thanks! I loved your son's snake costume. Isn't it great when we can dress the kids as something *they* come up with (not a canned insta-costume?)

    Cascia -- Thanks for coming by. They had tons of fun!

    Sara -- Thanks! It's hard to believe how much they are growing. I'm trying hard to appreciate every minute.

    PWAH - Thanks for visiting!

    Laurie -- I know. Last I checked Halloween wasn't about mentho-lyptus. If it were, I couldn't imagine it would be a very popular holiday. (Hm. Potty treats. Glad we're past that stage!)

    - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thank you for the mention! Those costumes turned out great!! I especially love the caveman. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.