Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Last Chance for MaryJanes:

The Simplista by Earth Shoes

Not long ago my great bloggy friend, Amy Hatch of chambanamoms.com contacted me to ask whether I would be willing to do a few reviews for a sponsor, PlanetShoes.com. The deal was this: they would choose the shoes and I would put them through their paces and write about it. I agreed – as long as they weren’t Lady Gaga glow-in-the-dark platforms ...

The first shoe I received for review was a tasteful MaryJane, the Earth Shoes Simplista.


My first impression was positive. Everything that came from EarthShoes was designed to be re-usable with minimal packaging. The shoes came in little hemp bags with tags explaining the company’s use of environmentally-conscious alternative materials – from 70% recycled soles to water-based adhesive to reduce harmful chemical runoff. I thought, “Wow. A shoe company making an effort…” I was intrigued.

When I looked at the shoe itself, the styling was surprising. Earth Shoes’ design – with the heel slightly lower than the toe – engages more muscles in your leg as you walk, thereby burning more calories through everyday wear. At first, it was difficult to get used to the appearance of a higher toe than heel. Simplistas do have a chunky look, but when I tried them on the raised toe was less noticeable. The leather was soft and I liked the adjustable hook-and-loop closure on the strap. Better yet, the Simplistas were surprisingly supportive – especially in the arch. And unlike most of the shoes I own, they didn’t pinch my toes.

I decided to give them the preschool teacher workout. After singing and dancing my way through the morning, I found that my feet and legs felt great. Three hours after we returned home that first day, my daughter pointed out that I still had my pretty shoes on. I hadn’t even noticed. They are that comfortable. In the past month, these shoes have gotten their fair share of wear and are holding up great.

As for the calorie-burning claim, I won’t say ‘the pounds melt away like magic’ when I wear my EarthShoes Simplistas. But they do make my feet and legs feel great and would be a cute, fun addition to any Mom’s wardrobe.

Disclosure: I received the EarthShoes Simplista MaryJanes for free from chambanamoms.com sponsor PlanetShoes.com, as part of a special promotion.

3 comments:

  1. Good to see you back. Missed you.

    These sound cool. I'm glad they're comfy. Very important, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen these and they DO look super comfortable. I will try a pair next time I'm looking for new shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Stacey. :) It's good to get back to writing. (I've been teaching preschool... so that makes for a busy mom.)

    But in the back yard this morning, the temptation to take photos was too great. There are more posts to come! :)

    GG: They may not be the color green, but it's nice to know the company that makes them is making an effort to 'green' their product. (Plus, they do feel nice...) I say, Try them! :D

    - Julia

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.