Thursday, July 8, 2010

From the Mouths of Babes

Kids can be so brutally honest. Usually, around our place, their honesty leads to pointed comments about Mom's appearance.

Like, "Oh, Mommy. Does that boo-boo on your face hurt?" [Translation: Mom, you have a zit.]

or "Wow, Mommy. You're turning blonde like me!" [Translation: Mom, you're going gray.]

Sometimes, Dad's the victim and the comment is phrased in the form of a question. Such as, while brushing teeth...

"Dad, how can a person's teeth get so yellow?"

But, every once in a while, the honesty dice get rolled in our favor... Sort of.

Such was the case yesterday during lunch, when I was trying to have a conversation with my husband. My daughter had a tiny play cup at the table and wanted milk poured into it instead of in her regular glass...

She said with increasing volume, "Mom-ME! IwantheOTHERglaass! IwanmymilkinthePRETTYone! Mom! Mom! Momm-ME!"

I made a weak comment that I was talking to Dad, and she needed to just drink what she was given. But as the whining libretto continued, I just wanted peace. With an exasperated sigh, I reached over and poured some of the milk from her regular cup into the play cup.

"Thank you, Mommy."

All my mind registered was that our world was now peaceful and we could finish our conversation. Two minutes later, it was done.

Silence.

Then a tiny voice.

"You know what mom?"

"What, honey."

"I stop whining when you give me what I want."

Not-so-veiled threat from Ms. Four-year-old.

I looked over at my smirking husband, who raised his eyebrows, and realized I'd just been perfectly manipulated by my child.

Well... at least she had the decency to let me know.

- Midwest Mom

4 comments:

Talk to me.